Posted: October 10, 2018 by Boomer Lee
When a hurricane or tropical storm heads our way, I know your family’s safety is top priority. Here are a few simple tips that may help.
- Bread and water are always the 1st things off the store shelves. Besides bread, consider other non-perishable foods such as fruits, canned goods and PB&J. If water is already sold out fill up pitchers and other containers with drinking water. You might also consider filling a bathtub with water for bathing just in case.
- Make sure you have an old school battery powered radio with new batteries. This may be your only source of information if the power goes out and cell towers are down. If you plan to watch weather coverage on TV, hook up an old school TV antenna so you can still watch local stations if your cable or satellite is out.
- If you use a generator make sure it is outside and well vented to prevent Co2 poisoning. Also, use the generator as it was designed to be used. Unless you are an electrician, don’t try to wire it into your house.
- Dig out your flash lights and stock up on batteries. Of course candles can also be used for light, just be careful.
- Since hurricanes can spawn tornadoes, designate a safe place to gather in your home if the tornado sirens go off. If you don’t feel there is any place in your home that could survive a tornado you may want to look into other options such as public shelters.
- Stay away from downed power lines. Even if you think power line is dead, leave it alone. Call the power company and let the professionals handle it.
- Finally, make a list of important numbers such as the power company, cable company and emergency services. And keep important documents including insurance documents in a safe place that is easy to get to.
These are just a few of my thoughts. If you think of other Hurricane Hacks, please post them in the comment section below. The best way to keep your family safe is to be prepared.